Ulster’s teaching and research expertise spans a wide range of subject areas. Students and staff are grouped by subject into Faculties and Schools. There are six Faculties at Ulster, each of which is further divided into a number of Schools (Ulster Business School is a Faculty. Schools within the Faculty are called Departments).
- Arts: The Faculty has six schools: Creative Arts and Technologies; English and History; Modern Languages; Media, Film and Journalism; Irish Language and Literature and the Research Graduate School. Courses are available at the Belfast, Coleraine and Magee campuses.
- Art, Design and the Built Environment: The Faculty has four schools: Belfast School of Art; Belfast School of Architecture; Built Environment and the Research Graduate School. Courses are available at the Belfast and Jordanstown campuses.
- Life and Health Sciences: The Faculty has eight schools and five research institutes. Its schools are: Biomedical Sciences; Environmental Sciences; Health Sciences; Nursing; Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Science; Psychology; Sport; and the Graduate Research School. Its Research Institutes are: Biomedical Sciences; Environmental Sciences; Nursing and Health; Psychology; and Sport and Exercise. Courses are available at the Coleraine, Jordanstown and Magee campuses.
- Computing and Engineering: The Faculty has five schools: Computing and Information Engineering; Computing and Intelligent Systems; Computing and Mathematics; Engineering; and the Research Graduate School. Coleraine. Courses are available at the Coleraine, Jordanstown and Magee campuses.
- Social Sciences: The Faculty of Social Sciences operates across three of the University's four campuses: Coleraine; Jordanstown; and Magee. There are seven schools in the faculty: Communication; Education; Law; Criminology, Politics and Social Policy; Sociology and Applied Social Studies; Research Graduate School; and the Graduate School of Professional Legal Education.
- Ulster Business School: The Ulster Business School consists of eight academic units. These are the Departments of Accounting, Finance and Economics; Business and Enterprise; Hospitality and Tourism Management; International Business; Management and Leadership; Marketing, Entrepreneurship and Strategy; the Research Graduate Centre; and the Business Institute.